I : II

"What I have here in front me are three different box. Each of the box was designated with its own keys respectively."

The mansion owner further explained the detail;

"Once a key is picked and it happened to be inserted into the wrong box, any one of the three box will be rendered unusable. Meaning for the next turn, one of the three box cannot be unlocked even with the right key inserted to the said box."

"After three fails attempt, all three box will be locked for the next 7 years."

"So on this occasion, the lock to the box has been undone, following my wrong attempt seven years ago. Now, I am giving all of you detectives, the chances to solve the riddle and claim the treasure. "

"And I hope it was worth the effort of inviting all of you here tonight. Without further ado, would anyone care to share their wisdom?"

In that instant, I figured out the trick behind the three box riddle. Yet, there was actually something that piqued my curiosity more.

I wanted to ask the mansion owner a certain something, but I felt that asking those question can wait over the explanation of the riddle.

Mr. Johnny Dexter, the world number two detective who was also a representative from Ireland, abruptly suggested someone.

"If I may not be so rude to interfere, mr. owner, since you have already took such a great pain inviting all of this wise gentleman, why not we invite the world greatest detective, Mr. Anthony Smith, to explain them?"

The crowd : "Well, why not? It is not often that we all could hear you speak."

Mr. Anthony Smith whom the crowd considered as the top of the world renowned detectives, said,

Mr. Smith : "You, how many times did I tell you I'm not the first in this line of work?"

Mr. Dexter : "Oww, don't be so humble. And please, stop talking about the non-existent detective."

Mr. Smith : "Whatever. Back to the riddle, the key to solving it is very simple, really."

*The crowd lowered their voice evenly, as if they are in a choir.*

Amid the explanation by Mr. Smith, I asked the kid next to me, "Hey, Rudolph."

With his mouth stuffed with the buffet cake prepared in the hall way, he replied,

Rudolph : "Wht iz it?"

"Is there a reason why Mr. Smith refuse to admit being the world number 1 detective?"

Rudolph took a moment to swallow the food he ate prior answering my question, "Hmm, how should I tell you? The world number 1 detective is unknown."

"Eh? But how?"

Rudolph : "I'm sorry but first let my tummy take her time for all this eating, okay? Is 15 second fine?"

"Yeah, hurry up and do it."

A brown-haired girl suddenly approached from the rear and interfered with our great discussion as to who went first.

*With a queen-like tone*

The girl : "What are you guys doing?"

Although I have the look of a saint, I was especially concerned with rude attitude. I just can't stand it.

"Isn't rude to ask that when this is the first time we meet? At least try to say hello, and tell who you are, before asking what the blue leaf are we doing."

The girl whispered, *What's with this guy?*

The girl : "Fine. My name is.."

"Your 15 second is up."

The girl : "Eh, what?"

It seems she was really frustrated as her question was dogded as I turned to Rudolph.

Rudolph : *Cough* "In the past, there are four unsolvable cases which has been filed to be an impossible crime. All of this were handled personally by Mr. Smith, Germany representative, and with the help of Mr. Watson, France representative. See the guy wearing grey jacket and a bowler-style hat?"

*Rudolph raised his pointed finger and turn it toward the said guy*

"Okay. So?"

Rudolph : "Each of those four cases was solved within two to three week from the date it was reported. The answer to those unsolvable cases was sent in a letter, by an unidentified sender. That's why Smith doesn't admit to be the first."

"Hoo.."

"You know, even my father, the best detective in the whole of United Kingdom wanted to meet him.", he said while pointing his finger toward his father who sat in the corner of the mansion.

"Hmm."

Upon watching Rudolph's father, I could feel this calm vibe emanated from his face expression.

Having done with his explanation, Rudolph crossed eyes with the girl next to me. He quickly rub his lips with the back of his hand to get rid of any leftover cake, tug the left and right side of the coat he wore,

Rudolph : *cough* "And who we have here? I'm sorry for not noticing such a fine and cute lady. My name is Rudolph Holmes."

The girl : "Well, its fine."

Just when she was about to yell at me for my sarcastic advice, yet upon closer look, she found out that I have a rather good look, ceasing her intent to do so.

The girl : "My name is Emma Clinton, the daughter of Jack Clinton. My father is a representative from Denmark."

Rudolph : "Oh ouh, my father is a UK representative."

Rudolph asked me, "And what is your name, sir? You certainly look too old to be a country representative."

I guess I shouldn't put too much effort into this disguise. But then again, how come Mr. Derry Koin was able to recognize me despite how good my disguise was? What a mystery, indeed.

"Well, my name is Benedict..", upon realizing that some thing didn't match, with a surprising look, Rudolph asked me a question;

Rudolph : "Wait! Wait! Before you tell me your name, tell me, how do you know my name? Isn't this our first meeting?"

"Oh that, isn't there a guest list at the entrance of this mansion? I took a glance of it as I helped pick the list that the butler slipped from his hand up off the ground. There are 50 detectives invited to this mansion. And it seems, each of them represent a country."

"Among them, there are two guest who brought along their family member, judging by how their family name goes. Those guest are Mr. Jack Clinton with his family member, Emma Clinton, and Mr. Adam Holmes and his immediate family member, Rudolph Holmes."

Rudolph : "Wohoo.."

"Among the crowd here, only both of you look young enough to be a country representative. So I guess that you two are the non-representative, family member who joined the gathering."

"And since 'Emma' sounds too unfamiliar to be a boys name, that leaves me with only Rudolph Holmes. But actually, I still am not sure enough whether your name are really Rudolph Holmes, because the possibility was there that both you and Emma Clinton might still be the country representative despite how your look are."

"Thus when you reacted to me as I called your name, I deduce that you are Rudolph Holmes, the son of Mr. Adam Holmes who represent United Kingdom."

As I finished with the deduction, the crowd gave a roar of applause. Without realizing myself, I have steered the focus of the gathering off of listening to the riddle explanation by Mr. Smith.

"Bravo, bravo. What a splendid deduction, young man."

I was praised by Mr. Abell Ferrell, who represented Belgium. "But although you are trying so hard to disguise, you couldn't deceive my eyes, you know? Mr. Benedict Kenny?"

I wasn't that surprised because I didn't really intend to hide the disguise. Although I have a guess as to how the guy single out my present, I pretended to ask Mr. Ferrell a question.

"Would you tell me how did you know that?"

Mr. Abell Ferrell : "Kid, I was the last to enter this mansion. When I look at the guest list, the..."

Mr. Isaac Watson, France representative, interrupted, "Ahem, aren't we supposed to let Mr. Smith finish his riddle explanation first, are we?"

Comments