II : III

"Uncle!"

As I turned back to see from where those voice came from, a girl with a beautiful curly black hair waved her hand towards me. As she stands, I could tell that she was shorter than me, a little bit higher than my shoulder though. She walked towards me, and then she said,

"Uncle, did you forget that we have a school trip to London tomorrow?"

Ah shoot! I have totally forget the school trip due to wrecking my brain over those confusing riddle that actually turned out to be a lame joke.

'Why did you have to invent such a complex riddle when it couldn't be cracked?'

That was the thought among all 6 of the world renowned detective after having examined their premises to solve the riddle this early morning. Yet, whether the riddle was truly a joke or not still remained a question, at least to me.

Anyway, there was a school trip to London museum on the fourth day of the school holiday. We were going there to have a historical lesson of the early age of human civilization, something that you would say, 'Yeah, it's in the past.'

"Oh, thank you, Sera."

Sera was my childhood friend who settled next door to my home. If I'm not mistaken, her family moved there when I was 8 years old. Apparently, her only family relatives was her mother. Her mother was divorced when she was only 2 years old.

From the window of my room on the second floor of my house, I'm able to see a fair view of her house yard. From 6 in the afternoon until a little bit before evening, she would play by herself. I started getting along with her on that day, when I found that she stopped playing for some reason. Her mother told that she caught a fever when I went to check her condition at her house.

For that one whole week, I kept nursing her right after getting home from school. Although we were of the same age, she kept calling me uncle. Maybe she taught I was much older than her seeing how matured my behaviour was.

Whenever we began to exchange story, she often tell how she wanted to meet her father to learn what happy family meant. Her wish was just different to me. I didn't really care as to what the definition was going to be. The only thing left in my memory was my father's back before he left for journey, 9 years ago.

Well, that was enough talking about the past. The only family I have now was my grandfather, and Sera whom I hope will be in its definition too. I didn't meant anything by that, fine? It was just, Sera act tough eventhough she wasn't strong. She was a bit clumsy that her sense of direction was so bad. It's amazing how she was able to lose her direction at our own school. Well, it happened on the first day though.

Our class searched the entire school for her, until I found her being locked inside of the school storage room. When I asked what she had been doing, she said that she was chasing a kitten when she realized that the room was locked from the outside. So I asked her,

"Why don't you call out for help?"

She stayed quiet without trying to answer me. Duh! Not only was she clumsy, she was even a shy one. She dislikes to share her problem with the other, even when she was trapped in the room. So I asked again what will she do if she were to be in the same situation again,

"But uncle will be able to find me, right?", she said.

You can't help but think that somebody gonna have to keep watch over her, right? Well, after I thank her for reminding me of the school trip, she went back to her house. I planned to take a rest after packing everything that I need before leaving for the school trip.

For easy retrieval, I hide my house key underneath the mat next to the front door.

"Let's see, where did I left it?"

"Ah, there you go."

The key was indeed underneath the mat, but something was a bit off. Hmm, maybe it was just my imagination. I turned the door knob to open the door, while carrying my duffel bag on my right shoulder.

After having seated on the sofas at the living room, I spoke.

"Ahem, so you came to return the book that you borrowed last week?"

After several moment of silent, a boy with an afro style hair came out from behind the curtain next to the sofas where I sat. The boy said,

"Oww, but how, dude?"

He was a friend from my school, Thomas Mikael. At high school, I tried to scored averagely for each subject during exam. Well, I dislike giving this 'genius' vibe to the other student so it will be easy for me to befriend them.

Unfortunately such effort was but to no avail. Due to me being too matured, only Thomas was willing to be my friend. Why? Because our passion lies in the same direction. But unlike me who only loves riddle, he was the top student at our school.

"The house key that I hide under the front door mat was slightly tilted to the left, you know? Besides, the door knob was a bit warm when I touch them earlier."

Thomas : "But, it could also be from Sera, couldn't?"

I paused a bit before answering him.

"Well, you did reply to me, didn't you?"

Thomas : "Ahh.."

Seeing how he was a bit disappointed after falling for my scheme, I grinned and laughed a bit. But it seems he didn't really satisfied by it, so he asked me how did he lock the door and left the key underneath the mat.

"Hmm? This door can be locked from the inside. Don't tell me that you didn't know about it, locked the house from the outside, and entered the house back from the kitchen window at the rear of this house?"

Thomas : "Err, no no, of course I lock them from the inside, hahaha."

He did lock the door from the outside.

Comments